During the year of second temple when our Sages of blessed memory saw the spiritual decline of the nation they instituted daily prayers. While each prayer has a “simple” meaning, every single letter alludes do deep Kabbalisitc concepts. By following the described “medicine” we invoke spiritual forces just like one can take a physical medicine without understanding how it works.
ARIZAL in Shaar HaKavanot brings many explanations to every portion of the prayer. Today I would like to bring his explanation to the Song of The Day that we recite before Aleinu.
Each Day We recite a different psalm that is connected to a specific day of the week. Why?
Our sages teach us that Shabbos (Saturday – the 7th day of the week) provides power for the next six days. It’s like a battery charger for the soul. Additionally during Shabbos we receive Neshama Yetera – additional soul. And therefore Song of the Day is connected to this process (translated from Shaar HaKavanot by ARI):
During recitation of the Daily Psalm on ____ one should focus on _____
- Sunday – Retain addition of NESHAMA from past Shabbos
- Monday – Retain addition of RUACH from past Shabbos
- Tuesday – Retain addition of NEFESH from past Shabbos
- Wednesday – Prepare to receive addition of NEFESH from next Shabbos
- Thursday – Prepare to receive addition of RUACH from next Shabbos
- Friday – Prepare to receive addition of NESHAMA from next Shabbos